Choke tubes in today’s time are highly integral to the hunters. Now, we are all aware of what choke tubes are. It is a narrow constriction of a gun barrel present at the end of the muzzle; we find this in shotguns and rifles, air guns, and other things. Chokes are commonly accessed for modern hunting, targeting, and many other things. Different choke tubes are used for different types of hunting; similarly, a turkey choke is used for hunting turkeys especially. So, here we will talk all about what is a turkey choke?
We all think that all choke tubes are alike, but no, there is no such fact, and if you want t go turkey hunting and want to improve your skills, then having a turkey choke will be quite beneficial for you.
What type of choke tube is ideal for turkey choke?
Most of us think that the full choke tube with the shotgun is ideal for killing turkeys, but they are not constructed for hunting turkeys. The reason behind full choke tubes not being ideal is that we require denser patterns for our pellets and want to use a tighter pattern than the full choke; as we hunt a turkey, we have to get the pellets in the important areas to get a perfect kill.
So, the interchangeable choke tubes that can screw into the end of the pellets narrow the pellets, tightening the shot cluster as it gets squeezed through the choke tube, providing tighter pellet patterns.
There are multiple various constrictions available in choke tubes, starting from the cylinder, which is the real size of the barrel’s interior bore, so it does not narrow the shot at all to the tight turkey tubes.
Size of constriction of turkey chokes
There are numerous constrictions available for turkey guns; you have to choose the right one as per your requirement.
- Super-tight turkey chokes- These chokes come with a constriction of .660, which is ideal for shooting small shots.
- Chokes with a larger constriction of about .680 are ideal for shooting larger shots.
- He-shot will produce the tightest patterns if used with chokes of constrictions of about 0.675. If you fire a havi-shot through a .675 constriction tube, it produces an average pattern density of about 94%. If fired through a .691 constriction, it produces an average pattern density of about 88% in a 30-inch circle at 40 yards.
Which turkey choke will be the best for you?
Shooting a turkey is not easy, as turkeys are not that easy to catch. This is why you need to have the correct tools and some good turkey hunting skills to better hunt one. Here, you will learn about some of the choke tubes you consider taking while hunting for a turkey.
- Carlson’s choke tubes 70120 – It is considered one of the best chokes for turkey hunting. It offers multiple features that make it one of the best such as it consists of a shot-lok technology for tight shot patterns, has a constriction size of 0.660, and is constructed with stainless steel. You can blindly choose this one.
- TRUGLO TG185X – This one is a brilliant choice if you want to go for long-range shooting. It consists of multi-phase Groove Technology, constructed with heat-treated steel for durability, and has a polished end face, which provides better seating and sealing.
- Redhead Blackout– This comes under the construction of Scott Carlson, is designed by heat-treated 17-4 stainless steel, and has the finishing of corrosion-resistant black oxide. It consists of 18 linear ports that assist in reducing recoil and increase the pattern density and is ideal for all types of loads. It is available in many constrictions for all the turkey gun models.
- Browning TSS Tungsten Turkey Shot- These new havi loads from Browning are Constructed to reach further with accuracy, which is possible only because of the density of tungsten; these new loads are the densest shot in the market.
- Primos Hunting 69405- This choke contains fluted ports and extended taper to improve the constriction, ensuring tight shot patterns and reduced recoil. It provides you with an accurate shot up to the distance of 40 yards. It increases range and pattern density. It also has a proprietary Black T coating that helps resist rust and corrosion.
Many more choices are available for you in the market, like Kicks Industries, GOBBLIN’ Thunder, and many others. If you have the right type of turkey choke with you, you will definitely succeed at it.