Thousands of tricks and tactics are applied for hunting a big whitetail deer. Using a deer decoy is one of them – hunting with a decoy increases the chance of a successful shot. Now I will discuss more the deer decoy in this article. So, you will get a clear idea.
Why use deer decoys?
Definitely, there are many reasons behind using Deer decoys. But one of the major reasons is to kill a mature buck. Besides, it is exciting and interesting. As we all know – whitetail bucks have known as majestic animals. The decoy can easily attract this majestic animal; those are out of the bow range. Besides, you can find other benefits –
- It makes calls more realistic and believable.
- It helps to set up a good shot.
- It can add more adventure and thrill.
Do deer decoys work?
Yes, they work! To use it properly, you should put it in the correct place. To make the best use of it or effective, it has to move. Many experts claim that deer decoy can show effective results throughout the year. But it will depend on your hunting location and state.
Most of the hunters do not use it properly or make the best use of deer decoys. They buy decoy before the season starts and never utilize it. Your decoy does not bring you the ultimate result until your decoy is visible.
How to hunt with a deer decoy?
The decoy can give better results in open areas. So that it is visible and deer can attract easily. But remember, never place it in a heavily covered area as the deer cannot see the decoy properly. But the rule of thumb is that deer can see the deer decoy from around 40 yards.
There are different types of deer decoy available in the store. Now we will talk about how you can use it for deer hunting.
- However, there are many decoys with scent. It would be best if you used a scent-free deer decoy.
- While setting up a decoy, you should always set it up with the direction of the wind. Maximum deer circle downwind of the deer decoy. So, it is better because it can put the deer between the deer hunters and decoy. However, the deer will still focus on the decoy.
- Try to set the decoy at a distance of your effective shooting range. You need enough space for the deer to circle. It would help if you always were alert as sometimes deer can walk right up the deer decoy.
- If you use buck decoy, then set up it quartering towards you.
- Continuous decoying in a particular location does not give you an effective result.
What time of the year should you use decoys?
You can use deer decoy throughout the year, but remember you need to consider the hunting situation. But the perfect time to use a deer decoy for hunting is pre-rut and rut. Around two to three weeks before the rut or breeding season can be the best time.
What is the best style of decoys?
Generally, there are two styles of decoys available –
- Full body – It is more believable and realistic. But it isn’t easy to carry and store. Besides, it comes with an expensive price and costing start from $100.
- Silhouette – Many hunters use this decoy. As it is easy to transport and store. But it also has a negative; it does not look realistic. Also, it is difficult to use in adverse conditions. But it comes at a comparatively lower price than the full-body, around $50.
Hunters can use both style decoys. But for novice hunters, it is better to 3D target.
Few amazing deer decoy tips
This section will discuss some effective deer decoy tips to make your hunting more interesting and successful. It would help if you gave concentration on these following facts –
- Please choose the right time, as it has considered deer hunting’s perfect timing is pre-rut and rut.
- Always be smart about scent control. Try to remove the human odor. Using scents is a useful tactic, but it will make all your efforts wasted if you misuse them.
- Place your deer decoy within 20 yards of your location. So, decoy placement is also critical.
- You should have patience.
- Place your shot and try to focus on the head.
- Visibility is important. Your deer decoy will become useless until your target does not see it.
Overall, hunting with a deer decoy is fun and thrilling. But you need to apply the right tactic. Moreover, it is a great and effective tool to try out.