Turkey hunting is a famous sport in northern and eastern America, especially in areas where the bird can be wildly spotted. This specific bird belongs to the longbeard section and hence killing them needs expert skills. What a hunter needs most is a proper choke, which will allow them to shoot the pellets perfectly, regardless of whether the bird is on land or airborne. This is why here we are with a detailed explanation of the best choke for turkey hunting. We will talk about the five best chokes and a proper buying guide that will help you further in choosing the best choke as per your convenience.
- Best Choke for Turkey Hunting
- How to choose the best turkey choke?
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Final verdict
Best Choke for Turkey Hunting
1. Carlson extended extra-full turkey choke tube Remington 12 Gauge shotguns
If you want tighter and denser patterns for every shot you will take, you will need this Carlson full choke turkey. It has a tighter constriction, but the extended tube length will help you shoot the pellets accurately with dense, close patterns. Here, the features have been described briefly.
Can shoot three kinds of pellets
Using this choke, you will be able to shoot three pellet types based on the material- lead shots: copper pellets, and the Hevi-shots.
Full extended design for better pattern
The full and extended design will help you to deliver tighter patterns for every shot you make. This will further help you to shoot the bird and kill it accurately.
No missing of any target bird
It doesn’t matter whether your target bird suddenly flew away from its previous position, and you missed the shot. With this best turkey choke, you can easily take the headshots when the bird is airborne.
- Three different kinds of pellets can be shot from this choke- lead, copper, and the Hevi-shots. This will give a hunter more flexibility since he wouldn’t have to buy special pellets for the choke.
- Black oxide finish is applied to the choke tube’s external walls, which will prevent corrosions from harming the choke.
- With the extended structure near the muzzle, loading it on the shotgun will be easy, and hence you wouldn’t need any wrench.
- The patterns generated are tighter than ever, thereby helping you in dropping the targets easily.
- The choke comes with enhanced performance at an affordable price rate for the hunters.
- No steel shots greater than #4 diameter can be shot with this choke tube.
- It is only compatible with the Remington shotgun. So, it would help if you had this ammunition before buying this choke.
2. Remington 13156 rem choke 12 Ga
If you are looking for the tightest pattern with accuracy and precision in the shot, the Remington 13156 will be the best turkey choke for you. It has a super full choke size, which will help constrict the pathway of the pellets, and hence patterns will be denser and closer to each other.
Perfect for long-distance shots
The choke can shoot the pellets for targets at forty-five yards and beyond. This is why if you are a long-distance shooter, this choke will be the ideal choice.
Made from high-quality material
The choke tube is made from industrially treated stainless steel. This will help you use the choke without worrying about servicing or replacing it too soon.
The black oxide paint, which is done on the exterior body, will help keep the choke safe from any corrosion.
- If your target is at forty-five yards or more, this is the best choke that will help you to drop down the bird with each. Hence, you won’t have to disturb the birds by going closer to get the perfect shot.
- It has a super full design, which will help constrict the patterns, thereby making them denser and accurate.
- The outer body of the choke has a black oxide finish. Thanks to this, you will be able to use the choke without having to deal with corrosion.
- This is the best turkey choke for Remington 870, with which you will be able to gain precision on the shots.
- Made from 17-4 heavy treated stainless steel, the choke will deliver amazing performance with sheer strength that will impart high velocity to the pellets.
- It can only be used to shoot the headshots, and hence, your choices of pellets will be restricted.
- You wouldn’t be able to shoot the short distance targets as the choke is not for the same purpose.
3. TRUGLO SSX STRUT- stopper Xtreme turkey choke tube
While choosing the best turkey choke for TSS, you care about a lot of things. The essential one amongst them is the ported design that will help you avoid the muzzle jump. Since you wouldn’t find such a design easily, we have included this choke so that you can hunt easily without any form of distraction.
Ported for reduced muzzle jumps
The front face of the choke tube has ports. Thanks to this feature’s presence, you won’t have to worry about the muzzle jumps or the huge recoil force.
It is compatible with most turkey pellets.
It doesn’t matter whether you have the Hevi-shots or the steel shots. The choke tube is compatible with most of the turkey pellets. Hence, you can save money with the choke by not having to buy some specific pellets.
Can be installed easily
The choke’s rear end has a screw-in design, which will help fit the tube in the shotgun. Hence, you won’t need any wrench or other hardware elements for the installation.
- This is the best turkey choke for Mossberg 930 for generating tight patterns. Hence, you won’t have to worry about the accuracy of the shots.
- You can use most of the pellets with this choke tube, as a result of which you will be able to save a lot of money on the shots.
- It has a screw-in structure using which you will install it on the shotgun without any hurdle.
- The front end of the choke tube is loaded with circular ported designs. This will indeed help in reducing the muzzle jumps and also keeping you focused on the target.
- Using this choke tube, you will be able to shoot the airborne turkeys at the right spot without missing any single target.
- The price is a bit high for this particular choke tube, which can be a problem for some hunters.
- It is not perfect for very long-range shooting, and hence, you will have to look for the targets closer to you.
4. Primos hunting tightwad turkey choke 660 tube
Not every choke tube is available at an affordable price, and hence, you will usually face difficulty getting the best turkey choke in the market within your budget range. But, since you have the TightWad choke from Primos, you will be able to save a lot since the choke comes at a low price compared to its counterparts.
At the front face of the choke tube, you will find ported holes. Thanks to the ports’ presence, the recoil force of the shotgun’s barrel after every shot will be reduced considerably. Also, the muzzle jumps will be reduced.
Knurled end for easy installation
Since most times, hunters complain about not finding it easy to install the choke; Primos has made sure to include the knurled design. With the knurled face, you will be able to screw-in the choke without the use of any wrench.
Delivers tight patterns
The patterns generated by the choke tube are tight and hence delivers quite an efficient result at a low price.
- The rear end of the tube is knurled, and hence you won’t have any problem with the installation of the tube on the shotgun.
- The ports will help you avoid any muzzle jumps or the huge recoil force that might distract you.
- It is perfect with three kinds of pellets- lead, copper, and Hevi-shot.
- The choke tube is perfect for shooting at long range distances, even at fifty yards.
- The price is low, and hence, you won’t have to worry about the budget while buying this best shotgun choke for turkey.
- It might not thread into several shotgun models like the Benelli or the Beretta.
- The patterns generated are tight but not like the ones you can see in the full choke tubes.
5. Carlsons Beretta/Benelli TSS turkey choke tube. 12 Gauge
The TSS turkey tube from Carlson is one of Benelli’s best turkey chokes, and hence every Benelli owner must have this choke tube at the earliest. Here, we have briefly described the choke tube features and explained why it’s amazing for the Benelli hunters.
Knurled end for easy installation
The end of the choke tube has several knurls. Because of this, it will be easier for any hunter to install it on the shotgun without any hassle.
Long-range choke tube
With this tube, you will be able to shoot the birds present at a long distance. This is easier for those hunters who prefer to fire at the target birds from a long distance to take a perfect aim.
Delivers one of the tightest patterns
If you want to buy the best choke for turkey hunting based on the patterns generated, this is the perfect piece. Carlson Beretta/Benelli TSS turkey choke is actually famous for the denser and tighter patterns it generates even at long distances.
- The choke tube can be used for shooting the pellets too long distances.
- The end of the tube has a knurled design. With this, it will be easier for you to install the choke on the shotgun without the help of any hardware tool.
- It is compatible with most of the pellet types, starting with the lead shots to the bismuth pellets and others.
- The patterns generated by the choke are extremely high, and hence your shots will be perfect without any hurdle.
- A black oxide finish is present on the exterior wall, with which you will be able to resist the metal body’s corrosion.
- Steel shots can’t be used with this choke tube, and hence if you don’t have this pellet, you will have to buy it.
- The choke tube price is extremely high, which might give you a little problem if you are tight on budget.
How to choose the best turkey choke?
Even though we are talking about a single longbeard waterfowl, there are several choke tubes available for the turkey hunts. This is where most people make mistakes, and hence they end up with a wrong choke. A wrong choke will not only prevent you from taking the perfect shot, but also it will destroy the shotgun or the pellets. This is why here we have described some of how you can select the best choke tube for turkey hunting.
Understand the patterns generated
Your first task will be to choose a choke that will deliver tight patterns. Loose or sparsely spread pattern lines means that the choke will throw the pellets in different directions, without any particular shot. This is why you need to choose a choke where the patterns ate tight and dense, and hence you will be able to shoot the pellets towards the target in a straight line.
Look into the design of the choke.
For choosing the best choke tube, you will have to look into the design. By design, we mean the choke tube’s extension, the presence of the ports, and the knurls. If the choke tube is extended or full, it will deliver tight patterns undoubtedly. With a ported design, you will avoid the muzzle jumps and reduce the recoil force. As for the knurls, if these are present, then you won’t have to use a wrench to install the choke on the shotgun.
Check the compatibility of the tube with pellet types.
It would help if you considered the compatibility of the concerned choke tube with the pellets you have. Let’s say you have lead and steel shots, but the choke you have chosen is not compatible with any of them. Hence, either you will have to change your decision about the choke or buy the pellets compatible with it.
Frequently Asked Questions
What turkey chokes fit my Winchester SPX?
For understanding which turkey choke will fit into the Winchester SPX shotgun, you will have to check the compatibility of the choke tube you have chosen. With this knowledge, you will be able to make a list of the chokes which are perfect for the Winchester.
Why use a turkey choke?
Since turkeys belong to the longbeard section, you must use proper choke tube which will help in long-range shooting. This is where a special turkey choke comes in the scenario to help you out with the shots.
What is a turkey choke?
A turkey choke is a special type of shotgun barrel’s extension that is needed to shoot the pellets in the proper direction towards the aim. This is needed to ensure that your shot is not spreading out and getting deviated from its path.
What does a turkey choke do?
The job of a turkey choke is to reduce the spreading pattern of the pellets once they leave the barrel of the shotgun. Also, with the proper choke, you will be able to generate tighter patterns with accurate shots at the targets.
What size is a turkey choke?
For killing the turkey birds, a hunter will need the full or super full-sized choke tubes. These sizes generate the tightest patterns, and hence, they will be the perfect one for dropping the birds irrespective of where the target is.
How does a turkey choke work?
A turkey choke has either a full or super full design. This provides constriction to the pellets and hence tightens the pattern further. The turkey chokes are extremely helpful in killing the birds with perfect aim. Also, since the designs have been improved, the choke will help in avoiding a missed shot.
How much is a turkey choke?
The price of a turkey choke will depend on several factors, starting from the material with which the choke is made to the extra features present in it. It also depends on the brand and the accuracy with which the pellets are thrown.
Can I shoot buckshot through a turkey choke?
The buckshot pellets are larger than the turkey pellets. Hence, if you will use the turkey chokes for firing the buckshot, the pellets will be constricted and distorted. When they leave the end of the choke, they will follow no pattern.
Is a turkey choke necessary?
Yes, the turkey chokes are extremely necessary, especially if want to make the kills perfect. There are some other chokes also which are made for all waterfowls, including turkey. But, it’s best to have a specific best turkey choke tube for Mossberg 500 or any other shotgun so that you can generate the required patterns for dropping the target.
Out of all the chokes we have discussed today, Carlson extended extra-full turkey choke tube Remington 12 Gauge shotguns is the best turkey choke tube. Not only will it help you to kill the birds perfectly with accuracy, but also it will deliver tight patterns for every hunting shot. It’s compatible with three different kinds of pellet shots- lead, copper, and Hevi-shots. Even though it can fire the steel shots, you won’t be able to use the #4 shots with this choke tube. With an extended full choke design, you won’t have to miss another target on the field, no matter where the turkey bird is.
Last update on 2022-12-08 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API